- Not changing your name when you marry? Stop acting like a feminist hero. Tuesday, October 20th, 2015
ARGH! Stop wanting to be hailed as some kind of feminist hero and pioneer for NOT CHANGING YOUR NAME WHEN YOU MARRY.
Wow! What a rebel. Fuck that. Want to make a real difference? Don’t. Fucking. Marry. And if you have children don’t give them the father’s surname. Two articles I read by women bravely not changing ...
- On being ten years old, our love party and macrame owls. Sunday, October 18th, 2015
When I was ten years old things were dire. The car had been repossessed, the water was down to drip, and things were missing, broken, dirty and old. I would collect the mail from the mailbox and if there was a ‘letter with a window’ I’d know it was a bill and when mum and ...
- Sorry. I’m just not sorry. For anything. Friday, October 9th, 2015
Sorry. I'm just not sorry. For anything.
- Ten Things No One Ever Tells You About Writing Monday, September 21st, 2015
Last November someone messaged me to tell me something I wrote was part of the year 12 HSC English exam. Which I found hilarious. I almost failed HSC English. Got 51%. Now I’m part of the exam.
I’m also dyslexic. Like 10% of the population. Fun fact, 60% of Nobel Prize winners are dyslexic. We’re also 50% of ...
- The ‘all porn all bad for all people all the time’ argument is crap. Wednesday, September 16th, 2015
The ‘all porn is all bad for all people all the time’ argument is crap.
Not only is it crap but it exposes how limited, scared, prejudiced, brainwashed and suffering from Stockholm Syndrome people are.
Here’s my problem with the current demonisation of porn argument.
It’s steeped in the assumption that…
1. There was no porn before the Internet.
- I was born on fathers’ day. I hated my father. I’m glad he’s dead. Sunday, September 6th, 2015
I was born on Father’s Day.
My father died last year. Nothing has made me happier. He was a horrible man. A messer. A narcissist. I am glad and relieved he’s dead. I never let him meet my kids. I didn’t not go to his funeral. Today, my first Father’s Day without him is a celebration ...
- Spending The Day With Six Year Old Me Saturday, August 29th, 2015
“You support the teachers right?” my sister Helen texts.
“Bloody oath!” I reply.
“Good. Well then you can look after Alexandra on Tuesday. There’s a teacher’s strike.”
Which was how I ended up spending a dreamy day dinking my bonnie 6 year old niece on the back of my hefty black Dutch grandmother bike through the blossoming streets ...
- On Depression. And magnolias Friday, August 7th, 2015
This time last year I was in the middle of a three month depression. I think it may have been adrenal fatigue. Whatever it was it sucked the enthusiasm, the enjoyment and the energy out of me. I was a husk.
The first half of the year had been full on in the best and worst ...
- Pregnant With Cancer Thursday, August 6th, 2015
January 30 2009
This day ten years ago, in an attempt to have a second child, I got pregnant with cancer. I didn’t know that you could create your own cancer, but you can. Learn something new every day.
We started trying for a second child as soon as the town planning permit had been approved ...
- Why I haven’t commented on Adam Goodes Monday, August 3rd, 2015
Someone asked my why I haven’t commented on the Adam Goodes thing.
Look, I really don’t understand it at all. I detest football and don’t understand booing ever. When I watch my son’s basketball team I applaud and barrack for all good play. On both teams. Australia is deeply racist. Anyone who needs to be convinced ...