- Feminism in Twelve Easy Lessons Wednesday, March 8th, 2017
LESSON NUMBER ONE
Beware of anyone using the words ‘respect’, ‘traditional’, ‘family values’, ‘honour’, ‘unacceptable’, ‘morality’, ‘uncalled for’, ‘inappropriate’, ‘unnecessary’ or ‘offensive’.
Particularly beware of the word offensive.
It’s code for ‘Pipe down princess, back in your box’.
Offence is taken not given and more harm is created by taking offence than giving it.
Offence is subjective.
Just because you are ...
- Why aren’t men changing their name after marriage? Thursday, March 2nd, 2017
An invoice was mailed to me and my boyfriend recently — it was addressed to Catherine and Anthony Deveny.
And yet I have never married, nor changed my surname. Neither has he.
I was repelled. Why, in 2017, do we still assume that a man and a woman who share a home must also share the same ...
- Life Hack. Tip For A Good Life? No Expectations Wednesday, March 1st, 2017
It was a tremendous gift to grow up not being clever, good looking or particularly pleasant. It also helped immensely that I came from a working class family without any ‘pedigree’.
In our family there was no tradition of certain occupations, no family name to uphold, no pressure to take over the farm or the business, no ...
- Financial abortion: Should men be able to ‘opt out’ of parenthood? Wednesday, March 1st, 2017
I don’t write many columns these days but I am really passionate about getting the discussion started on this.
I support men having the right to opt out of parenthood via financial abortion.
I don’t think a women should be forced to be a mother. Why should men be forced to be fathers?
It’s rooted in medieval thinking ...
- Sorry, but being a mother is not the most important job in the world Sunday, February 19th, 2017
Being a mother is not the most important job in the world. There, I said it. Nor is it the toughest job, despite what the 92% of people polled in Parents Magazine reckon.
For any woman who uses that line, consider this: if this is meant to exalt motherhood, then why is the line always used to sell ...
- Teenage girls should be encouraged to say fuck, learn how to fuck themselves and achieve Fuck Off Status. Tuesday, February 7th, 2017
Teenage girls should be encouraged to swear.
No one is forcing them to but encourage them to swear if they want to. The worst thing you can encourage girls to be is nice and the second is pretty.
The idea swearing is ‘wrong’ or ‘nice’ indicates there’s a universal agreement on the definitions of ‘wrong’ and ‘nice’ ...
- Christmas Eve. Carols by Candlelight. Mum’s chucking a wobbly Saturday, December 24th, 2016
Deck the halls with aggro and folly.When mum’s in meltdown, ’tis the season to tune into candlelit soapie karaoke…..
T’WAS THE NIGHT before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, because mum was chucking her annual Christmas Eve spastic. “You lazy, useless, selfish kids. Oh no, don’t ...
- ISRAEL Upper Gallilee. Woman identified as ‘Mary’ claims her son Jesus Christ is The Son Of God™. Friday, December 23rd, 2016
ISRAEL Upper Gallilee. A woman identifying herself simply as ‘Mary’ claims her nine-year-old son Jesus Christ is The Son Of God™. The 28-year-old mother alleges she was a virgin when she gave birth and conceived via ”impregnation of The Holy Spirit”. According to ‘Mary’, and her son’s followers who refer to themselves as ‘Christians’, her son performs miracles and ...
- Christmas? Show me the sedatives and a dark room. Friday, December 23rd, 2016
A time for kids? Rubbish. They’re all just spoilt brats who want more crap.
CHRISTMAS? Kill me now. Season to be jolly? Not this little black duck. Wish I was Jewish. Or in jail. Or dead. I s’pose it could be worse. Come to think of it, no it couldn’t.
But seriously, you know what I want ...
- Christmas Shopping tips from Dev. You’re welcome. Wednesday, December 7th, 2016
I hate Christmas. Don’t get me wrong, I adore my friends and family (individual results may vary), am delighted to cook for them or buy them things they need or desire and a simple glance at my reader’s physique will assure you I love to eat. It’s just the obligation and expectation that annoys me.